Thursday, April 29, 2010

Here was the intro for my paper presentation that I gave in class.

I have been constructing my paper idea for quite a while now, but the other day I happened to stumble across a Frank Zappa quote that kind of explains my topic in a nutshell.

“The most important thing in art is the frame. For painting: literally; for other arts: figuratively - because, without this humble appliance, you can't know where The Art stops and The Real World begins. You have to put a "box" around it because otherwise, what is that shit on the wall?”
-Frank Zappa

For my paper I played with different box metaphors to explain my life and college career, and I related it all back to Burnt Norton. I took his ideas of time/memory, and described them as being a box in itself, that is compartmentalized in our “cabinets of curiosity” making all of our thoughts and memories eternally present.  In the end, I came to the conclusion that the framework for our lives is a constant, but the story is constantly evolving and changing within the limitations of the frame we have each created. So, how you choose to place, fill, or empty the boxes within that frame is up to you.

The framework for my presentation is complete, but the story is not. Like with our blogs, we have a frame that surrounds the class, readings and themes, but the stories within that frame are never complete because the students in the class keep them going by reading others blogs, giving advice and bouncing ideas off one another. In the end, I found it fitting that my presentation not only involves my ideas, but also some feedback from the class as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.