Monday, April 19, 2010

"intimidation of the threes"

 Last semester, Dr. Sexson told everyone in our Bible as lit class that everyone should be intimidated of three specific things:  a paper (written by the man, the myth, the legend, Tai Kersten), a drawing from memory and a video posted on anothers someones blog. I did not mention the latter two's names because they are not currently in the capstone with us. Because I am presenting the best paper I have ever written on the last day, I feel rather intimidated by everyone who has gone before me. Like Rian said, the "anxiety of influence" is giving me a swift kick in the behind.

As I blogged about earlier this semester, the main metaphor I am using in my paper has to do with boxes. I was initially going to also incorporate past, present and future tenses, but after hearing presentations such as briannes and lisas, I am going to have to change my path in fear of redundancy. However, this is okay, because after going through my archives, I remembered that my Nabokov paper touched on this subject, and repeating the same idea does not sound like too much fun.

Anyways, congrats to everyone that has already gone. Your papers are interesting and engaging, and because of this I have been working even harder to try and write something on the same playing field. I re-read the 4 quartets this week, as well as freshening up on other materials, and hopefully have my paper will be dialed and ready by Friday! I am not going to spoil my paper by talking too much about it now, but I will include a short passage that goes along with it..

"If you are sitting in a dark, closed up box, the only things that really truly matter are your own thoughts regarding the past and future; because lets face it, you are sitting in a box."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.